Last month I had a prolonged debate with an anonymous commenter . He wrote: " I don’t think world peace wouldn’t be great, just that it is completely unrealistic. But there you go again with the, “killing people” garbage. In your mind, Bush and congress gave the OK to go to Iraq, we strapped a bunch of bombs to some jets and went over there and just started letting loose on every Iraqi town we could find. Am I close? I don’t know if you just don’t do any reading about what we are doing and have done over there, or if this is another symptom of getting your news from Comedy Central . " and " By the way, did you know more people were murdered in Chicago last summer than died in the Iraq war last summer ? " Here's my response: 4.8 million Vietnamese people were exposed to Agent Orange , resulting in 400,000 deaths and disabilities, and 500,000 children born with birth defects Landmines are cheap to make, easy to bury, and difficult to find and neutralize. A...
Is it really the Federal government's responsibility to make sure we have a parking space?
ReplyDeleteHave we learned nothing from the last year that when a government gives everyone whatever they want, we go bust?
The government needs to learn to live within its means, too, you know.
If you want more parking, live somewhere with parking and the economics of the thing will solve the rest.
It is the federal government's fault that I have a car. Their support of GM goes back 60 years. They have subsidized the automobile financially and by building roads, and have allowed for the destruction of alternative transportation systems so that we have no choice but to drive a car. Is it their job? It shouldn't be. But as long as they're doing it, I wouldn't mind having a place to park.
ReplyDelete"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."- President Gerald Ford
ReplyDeleteIt takes courage to tell constituents no. Everyone in our country is so used to getting whatever they want when they ask for it. Why say no, when it feels so good to say yes?
We need to stop giving our money to the government in the first place. I'm for optional taxes.
ReplyDeleteEven for the rich?
ReplyDeleteYes. Optional taxes would be a complete revolution. Then paying your taxes could truly be patriotic, and the government would once again have to answer to the people, instead of lording over them.
ReplyDeleteBut if we do force taxes, it should mainly be on those with money and not the poor at all right?
ReplyDelete