Last month I had a prolonged debate with an anonymous commenter . He wrote: " I don’t think world peace wouldn’t be great, just that it is completely unrealistic. But there you go again with the, “killing people” garbage. In your mind, Bush and congress gave the OK to go to Iraq, we strapped a bunch of bombs to some jets and went over there and just started letting loose on every Iraqi town we could find. Am I close? I don’t know if you just don’t do any reading about what we are doing and have done over there, or if this is another symptom of getting your news from Comedy Central . " and " By the way, did you know more people were murdered in Chicago last summer than died in the Iraq war last summer ? " Here's my response: 4.8 million Vietnamese people were exposed to Agent Orange , resulting in 400,000 deaths and disabilities, and 500,000 children born with birth defects Landmines are cheap to make, easy to bury, and difficult to find and neutralize. A...
Not fair. I'm sure I could find a hundred "uh...uhhh.....uh....uuuuhhhh," courtesy of Obama. It is pretty blatant how much the media loves him though. "He's doing something, just give him a break." What the heck? Did he think Bush was just sitting on the crapper the last 8 years? Hitler did something, other crazy leaders have done something. Throwing water on a grease fire is something, but it's unhelpful none the less.
ReplyDeleteYou're right that it's not fair. And on the Obama stutter point.
ReplyDeleteBut attacking the use of teleprompters. Who came up with that? Who cares? Is that fair? It's pointless politics. What does it have to do with any issues. I'm fine if you attack Obama, but attack him with substance.
And it's not just that he's doing "something." He's reaching an arm out to Iran, rather than trying to explode it. That's amazing. And the rhetoric he used, quoting one of their poets, comparing their holidays to ours. It was great rhetoric.
Thanks for sharing your opinion, and for not being a jerk about it. You're great.
Also, I understand that you may disagree with many of the somethings that he's doing. That's good. Me too (to a lesser extent).
But to oppose everything he says and does just because of who he is, requires no discernment, and is the path to complacency, equal to accepting everything somebody says and does.
Touche :) thank you for pointing that out. I do tend to have my "I can't stand you," ears on every time I listen to him read his telepromter (jk, JK!), and just dismiss everything he says. I should be better at that.
ReplyDeleteI did agree with him one time during the debates. He stated the problem with our education system cannot be solved by throwing more money at it, but by making parents responsible. However, then I thought, "It's just because there is no room in your budget for education." ::sigh::
Its just as if (you thought) someone you knew lied a lot and was very fake - you'd really have a hard time believing anything they read...said. (I kid, I Kid!)
I too am glad we can discuss issues and still be friends. I really do enjoy your blog.